The EdCaN learning resources were designed to assist nurses develop the Competency Standards for Specialist Cancer Nurses outlined in the National Professional Development Framework for Cancer Nursing.
The resources cover a broad range of topics that are relevant to all nurses working in cancer care, including those new to the field as well as those with many years experience. The resources are intended for use by individual nurses to meet their own learning needs, or by educators who design and implement professional development activities.
The development of the learning resources was underpinned by principles from constructivist learning theory, including:
- The use of authentic learning activities.
- The incorporation of multiple learning perspectives. For example, different settings, demographics , clinical diagnosis and treatment trajectories.
- A focus on learners actively thinking rather than being told.
- An emphasis on the building of self knowledge / knowledge construction.
Key features of the EdCaN learning resources:
- Modules centered around the person experience of the person affected by cancer.
- Aim and rational provided for each module.
- Case-based learning resources divided into sections relating to the cancer experience trajectory. Each section includes objectives, evidence based summaries, case vignettes/s and learning activities.
The implementation materials are freely available to support users of the EdCaN Framework and learning resources. Users can adapt the EdCaN learning resources to address specific individual and/or an organisation's continuing professional development requirements. Please adhere to the copyright requirements outlined on the EdCaN website.
For further information or assistance when implementing the EdCaN learning resources, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org